Positive Effects of Nature Sounds
Ambient nature sounds have the ability to aid sleep, reduce stress, and provide a relaxing atmosphere for activities such as yoga, tai-chi, and meditation.
Most of us spend our days surrounded by the sounds of vehicles, televisions, and office machines. Nature sound recordings can offer us an escape from these unnatural surroundings, and allow us to reclaim our balance. Popular sounds used in ambient recordings are: ocean waves, creeks, waterfalls, wind, rain, thunder, and birds. Our sense of hearing can have a strong influence on our emotional health. Through experimentation, you can discover the effects each of these sounds have on your moods and emotions. Because our life experiences and environment are so diverse, each person reacts differently to the various sounds of nature. Below are a number of common benefits that nature sounds may offer:
- Consistent sounds, like rain or waterfalls, act like a �white noise machine� that masks household noises such as refrigerators, heaters, and creaking floors. These types of sounds often help light sleepers and infants sleep better.
- The sound of steady, rhythmic ocean waves provides a sensation of relaxation and calm. The hypnotic consistency of waves can also help to lull you to sleep.
- Creeks, especially a slow babbling type creek, is a warm comforting sound. The gurgling sounds are unique and quickly conjure up images of a countryside getaway.
- Thunder can help to mask low rumbling sounds like motorbikes, loud cars, or boom boxes.
- Singing birds is a joyful sound, and may remind one of a day off at the lake or in the back yard.
- Storm sounds can help you to relax or concentrate on work while you�re at home. When it feels like a stormy day we tend to relax, thinking that we can�t go out to work in the poor weather.
- You might associate many of the nature sounds with a pleasant experience or location. Ocean waves, creeks and waterfalls are some of the sounds that are common on vacations.
If you spend some time listening to ambient nature recordings, you will quickly discover how each sound effects you. Put in the time � I am confident you will be pleased with the results.
Experiment with the online program to create your personal sleep-aid or relaxation tool.
Visit our Drummming and Nature Sounds page for more free relaxing music
Sound Sleeping Tips
Cut out the napping.
If you are having difficulty sleeping and get tired in the middle of the day, resist the temptation to take an afternoon nap. Napping is the best way to perpetuate sleep problems. Keep your sleep schedule as consistent as possible, and try not to ''Make up'' for a sleepless night by breaking it. Eventually, if you are tired enough, your body will get the sleep it needs, and will accustom itself to sleeping during your regular scheduled hours.
Keep a Sleep Diary. Often it will help to keep a sleep diary by your bed and record your sleep patterns each day. You may discover an evening ritual to improve your sleep.
Eliminate noise in the bedroom. Sudden household or neighborhood noise can interrupt sleep. A white noise machine, fan, or other sleep-aid tool like the one above, can mask noise that could otherwise disturb your sleep.
Read and share ideas about stress reduction, relaxation techniques, and sleep-aids on our sleep and relaxation discussion page.
More sleep, relaxation,, stress reduction, and relaxing music on our sleep and relaxation resources page.